Learning about word families helps kids progress in their efforts to read and write. After all, if they can read and write ‘Sam’ they can read and write ‘Pam.’ These word family writing activities are a quick and easy way to practice and are perfect for Kindergarten and Grade 1 kids!
Just print off the pages as you need them. For longer use, laminate them and use with dry erase markers.
Using these word family writing activities
- Write your name at the top!
- Colour the word family in the top right corner, learning how it sounds and saying it over while colouring.
- Circle the 4 words on the top left that also belong to the same word family. Look closely at the letters to decide, but also try and sound them out to hear the differences.
- Trace over the words below the pictures while saying the words and thinking about the sounds.
- Trace the words in the lines below and then write each word 2 more times.
- Circle the beginning letters on the alphabet strip at the bottom to work out their alphabetical order, then write the words in the 3 boxes below.
Click on the following highlighted link to receive your Word Family Writing Activities. They will immediately be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Want more of these activity sheets?
If you’d like to buy the set of 24 matching CVC word family worksheets you can find them at my TpT store.
Looking for more free word family activities?
- Word Family Rhyming Clip Cards
- Word Family Dice and Board Games
- Rhyming Words (when you only have a minute)
- Word Family Origami Pinwheel
- CVC Words (when you only have a minute)
- 10 Free CVC Word Puzzles
Looking for more word family teaching materials?
- Hands-On Word Families Bundle
- CVC Mazes: 80 Words to Discover and Write
- CVC Play Dough Mats
- Rhyme Time Sound Mazes
- 20 Word Family Board Games
I hope you and your kids love these activities!