Kids love to learn about shapes by looking at the environment around them and these free readers with real world 2D shapes can help them make those connections.
What you’ll need
- Download the 2D shapes readers below.
- Print them off in colour or black and white.
- Fold them according to the instructions included in the download – one piece of paper makes one 8-page book, you just need to fold on the lines and cut one slit into the paper.
- Get reading and writing!
How to use these real world 2D shapes readers
One book is a predictable reader: This is a …
Because of the simple text even very young readers can ‘read’ through the book by learning the pattern and looking at the pictures.
The second book contains a longer sentence on each page using common early words whenever possible.
- Look through the books together
- Read through the books together
- Ask your child to run their finger under each word as it is read
- Trace over the dotted words
- Ask your child to look around them. Can they find any of these shapes in the objects nearby?
Click on the following highlighted link to download your 2D SHAPES READERS. As soon as you click, the books will be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Want the matching free 3D readers?
You can find them HERE.
Want more free geometry resources?
For a large kindergarten geometry pack with over 150 usable pages pop over to my store. It has many, many teacher posters as well as student activities to cover all aspects of geometry.
I hope your kids enjoy these readers!