Valentine’s Day is coming! And I know lots of teachers like to use the occasion to talk about appreciating friends and family. So here’s a free CVC board game created with a Valentine theme for you to use in your classrooms and homes while you’re heart focused!
Make sure you scroll down to the end because there are links to lots of other great Valentine’s Day activities created by some of your favourite bloggers!
What you’ll need
Download the Valentine’s Day CVC Board Game here. Print off either the colour or black and white pages. It’s best to print onto card to make dice as they might not last long constructed out of regular copy paper! Your kids will need some little objects to use as counters, too.
How to use this CVC board game
- Place counters on GO!
- One child rolls the die then moves that number of spaces. I only put numbers 1 to 3 on the dice so the game wouldn’t be over too quickly.
- The child reads the word they land on and says it out loud. Their friends can help if they need support.
- The children take it in turns to roll the die and move their counters going all the way to STOP.
There doesn’t have to be a winner, as winning is accomplished by merely playing the game and learning!
- If a child is not ready for CVC words ask them to just say one of the letters, for eg, focusing on the initial letter first, then in another game the last sound, and then the medial vowel sound. In this way children at different levels can still play the game together as long as they know that it’s OK for children to have different reading goals.
- For more advanced children, ask them to read the word they land on, then say a word that rhymes with it.
Looking for another free Valentine’s Day reading activity?
Pop over to my Teachers Pay Teachers store to download this fun colouring page. Don’t worry – it has separate pages for US and Aussie spelling!
Looking for more Valentine’s Activities?
Check out these links to 20 more Valentine’s ideas and free printables that are perfect for little ones!
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Printable Valentine’s Day Dice Games // Fun-A-Day
FREE Number Bingo // The STEM Laboratory
Pre-Writing Alphabet Practice with Conversation Hearts // Preschool Inspirations
Heart Match Up Activity // Frogs, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
Counting Roses // Best Toys 4 Toddlers
Conversation Heart Counting Cards // Life Over C’s
Love Bug Clock // Fairy Poppins
Counting Heart Cake Toppers // Adventures of Adam
Heart Wreath // Powerful Mothering
Magic Heart Sight Words // Playdough to Plato
Simple Suspended Conversation Heart Discovery Bottle // Lemon Lime Adventures
Valentine Numbers and Counting Hearts // Play and Learn Everyday
Teach Buttoning Skills with Heart Buttons // Sugar Aunts
Free Valentine’s Day Addition Memory Game // DIY Farm Wife
Hearts Pom Pom Game // Teach Me Mommy
I Spy Valentine’s Day Heart Bottle // The Pleasantest Thing
Color Sorting Hearts // Modern Preschool
Candy Heart Addition Cards // The Kindergarten Connection
We Go Together Like PB&J Homemade Game // Study at Home Mama
Valentine’s Day CVC Board Game // Liz’s Early Learning Spot