Kids can work independently with these CVC self-checking clip cards! Reading 3-letter words is a huge milestone and a huge confidence booster for young readers, and when they can check the answers for themselves they don’t have to worry about making a mistake.
Preparing the cards
Print off the pages you want to use onto card then cut along the 2 long centre horizontal lines to separate the 3 clip cards. Fold in half so the pictures are on the front and the words for self-checking are on the back.
Glue them closed or laminate them for longer use then grab some small pegs or paperclips and you’re ready to go!
What words are included?
There are 15 colour and 15 black and white clip cards.
- Middle A: cat, fan, map
- Middle E: wed, wet, ten
- Middle I: six, zip, win
- Middle O: rob, log, hot
- Middle U: mug, mud, hut
Using the CVC self-checking clip cards
- Look at the picture on the card and say the word.
- Stretch out the sounds to clearly hear the three individual sounds.
- Decide which letter on the left indicates the initial sound and clip it.
- Decide which letter on the right indicates the final sound and clip it.
- Say the word, pointing at each letter with your finger.
- Turn the card over to check the answer.
Click the following highlighted link to download your CVC SELF-CHECKING CLIP CARDS. The file will immediately be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Looking for more free CVC activities?
- 10 free CVC word puzzles
- CVC board game
- CVC transportation play dough mats
- CVC writing activities
- Teeny tiny CVC matchbox words
Looking for more CVC self-checking clip cards?
Pop over to my Teachers Pay Teachers store to find a 60 page pack containing 90 colour and 90 black and white clip cards.
I hope your kids enjoy these clip cards and I wish you happy teaching and learning!