Kids really enjoy punching holes in things so why not combine that enthusiasm with learning about digraphs? These beginning digraphs punch cards are a fun way to practice digraph sounds and focus on the shapes of the letters.
- Download this activity at the bottom of this post.
- Print off the pages you want to use onto paper or card (decide between printing 1 digraph at a time, or 3 digraphs at a time). Cut to separate each card.
- You‘ll need a hole punch if you want to work on fine motor skills.
- Otherwise, kids can just cross off the digraphs that ARE NOT the target digraph
- Or circle all the target digraphs
- Or clip them with pegs or paper clips
If you want to make the punch cards re-usable, laminate them for re-use with dry erase markers or pegs.
How to use these beginning digraphs punch cards
- Colour the large digraph in the center or use it to practice writing/tracing the letters.
- Make sure you know how that digraph is pronounced and say it over as you colour.
- Look at the pictures. Colour or circle the pictures that start (or end) with the target sound. Each card has 4 pictures that will fit that description.
- If you‘re unsure what word is meant by a picture, check the list below.
- Look at the target digraph and search for the same digraphs around the border. Punch a hole in all the target digraphs, saying the sound as they punch.
List of pictures
CH: chili, photograph, sheep, cheese, chair, chick, whale, thumb.
SH: whistle, sharpener, church, photograph, ship, sheep, thumb, shell.
TH: cheese, three, pharmacy, thorn, throne, thumb, shovel, whistle.
Click on the following highlighted link and your BEGINNING DIGRAPH PUNCH CARDS will be sent directly to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Want free alphabet punch cards?
- You’ll find free A-H punch cards (both lowercase and uppercase) HERE.
Want more digraph punch cards?
This DIGRAPH PUNCH CARDS WITH BEGINNING AND ENDING SOUNDS pack is available for only $2.oo at my TpT store.
- The 8 beginning digraphs are: ch, kn, ph, qu, sh, th, wh and wr.
- The 8 ending digraphs are: ch, ck, mb, ng, sh, th, ll and ss