Everyone loves a fairy tale! In these free readers Cinderella is off to the ball so grab your wand and let’s go!
- Cinderella went to the Ball: A Reader in color and black and white.
- Cinderella Words: A word book in color and black and white.
What you’ll need:
- A copy of this printable (you can find it below)
- Paper for copying
- Scissors to make just one cut
How to prepare:
Decide if you’re using the colour or black and white versions and print them off. There are full instructions in the printable, it just takes one cut in the middle of the page and then it’s folded into a book. One page makes one 8-page teeny tiny book. Perfect for little hands!
How to use:
This is a tricky reader for younger children, but perfect for reading with them. And, of course, they’ll be able to ‘read’ the Cinderella Words book because it’s a predictable pattern with picture prompts. Try these different activities if you want to use these to teach literacy as well as being enjoyable books to read:
- Focus on one word from the Cinderella Words book and try to find that word in the reader. Look for the picture first, then think about the starting sound and the length of the word to see if your child can find it.
- Focus on one of the letters in the Cinderella Words book and, using a highlighter, mark that letter every time they see it in the text and say the sound. Read that word together to see what it sounds like.
- Choose a simple sight word such as ‘to’ or ‘the’ and search the text for them, circling them when they’re found.
- Talk about the characters: this story is too tiny to supply many clues but if your child is familiar with the original story they can probably talk about what kind of people Cinderella, her stepmother and fairy godmother are. What kind of relationship does Cinderella have with her stepmother?
- Talk about the storyline: this story is just about how Cinderella gets to the ball, can your child tell you more about the story? Why does Cinderella live with her stepmother? Why is she dressed poorly? What’s so great about going to a ball? And what happens after she arrives and when the clock strikes midnight?
Free printable here
Click on the link to download this Cinderella Went To The Ball printable. It will go straight to your downloads folder.
I hope your child enjoys this reader and word book. I’ll be making more fairy tale readers in the future so if you want to know when they’re published simply subscribe to my newsletter at the top of this page by adding your email address.
Free Cinderella song and poster
If you’d like a copy of this song poster pop over to this post to download it. You’ll need to scroll down a little.
Free Storytelling with Fairy Tales
I also have this fun mixed-up reader activity that you can download from this post.
Learning the alphabet with tiny readers
If your child enjoys the Cinderella Words book, you might like to purchase these alphabet readers. They’re one of my best sellers and kids love them!