We have more free word puzzles for you today, focusing on final blends. They are all four letter words with a consonant-vowel-consonant-consonant (CVCC) pattern.
Two or three consonants together in a word have to be blended together to get the pronunciation. That is, we smoothly progress from one sound to the next. They don’t become one sound as in ch, sh or th… they maintain their own sound but they’re well blended.
This often happens at the beginning of words, but also happens at the end. Today’s puzzles are all examples of this!
- bend, hand, wand, wind
- milk, silk, sulk, yolk (we can’t hear the ‘l’ in ‘yolk’ so now’s a good time to talk about that with your kids!)
- lamp, hump, camp, jump
- gift, lift, raft, left
Print off the colour or black and white puzzles you want to use onto card and cut them into strips. Laminate them if you wish. If using the black and white versions your children can colour them before laminating!
Using these final blends CVCC puzzles
- Depending on ability, give children one puzzle at a time or give them several to sort.
- Generally they will put them together by re-forming the picture.
- It’s very important to ensure that children take the time to look at each letter… to point at each letter if it helps them focus.
- They then sound out the word as their finger passes along under each letter, taking care to stretch out the last two sounds in order to blend the third letter into the fourth letter.
- As an extension encourage your child to write the word in their journal or on scrap paper.
- Try another puzzle!
Download final blends puzzles here
Click the following highlighted text to download your 32 FINAL BLENDS CCVC WORD PUZZLES. They will immediately be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Want more free blending activities?
Want more free word puzzles?
- 12 Digraph Final Sound Puzzles
- 10 CVC Word Puzzles
- 8 Magic E Long Vowel Puzzles
- 24 Fall Word Puzzles
Want more blending and ending sound puzzles?
- 180 Final Sound Puzzles: Ending Blends
- 180 Final Sound Puzzles: Digraphs and Double Letters
- 120 Beginning Word Blend Puzzles