These colouring pages give kids the chance to focus on 4 sight words at a time. They’re simple to use and are aimed at kids from Pre-K to Grade 1.
These are print-and-go pages so that’s super simple.
However, I’ve included an ‘I Can…’ poster that details each step of the activity to help kids complete the pages independently, so it’s well worth the time to go through that poster with your children before they get started.
There’s also a colour word poster (yes, in both US and Aussie spelling) to help them write their colours without assistance, if they choose to write those words.
How to use these I Spy Sight Words colouring sheets
- Write their name on top.
- Choose a separate colour for each of the four words.
- Write the name of each colour in the rectangle next to each chosen word with help from the Colour Words poster OR simply shade the rectangle with the chosen colour.
- Find and circle the first word wherever it is found in the picture using the chosen colour.
- Count how many times the word occurred and write that number in the box next to the colour word/shading.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the other three words.
- Write each of the words in the space below the picture.
- Colour in the picture. While most children enjoy colouring, some do not and it can be time consuming therefore I believe colouring should be optional – and the steps above should be complete BEFORE students start to colour, especially if time is limited. The words will stand out more clearly in the final product if children do not colour on top of the words, but colour around them.
- When finished students can show their work to an adult (or another student), point to each word and say the word. This will help consolidate their learning.
On completion ask questions such as the following
- How many times did they find a particular word?
- Which word was found the most? The least?
- Can they put the four words in alphabetical order?
- Can they spell the words without looking?
- Can they spell the colour words without prompting?
What words are included?
There are 6 free pages and they include the following words.
- a, my, come, to
- where, play, little, for
- could, when, know, live
- hand, has, stop, as
- brown, get, like, will
- must, so, eat, who
Click on the following highlighted link to download these I SPY SIGHT WORDS COLOURING SHEETS. They will immediately be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Want more free sight word activities?
- Sink the sight word pirate ships
- Little books with CVC and sight word sentences
- Editable sight word spinner
- Little readers for community helpers: Volume 1 and Volume 2
What more sight word colouring pages?
You can grab them from my store.
I hope your kids enjoy using these sight words colouring pages!