These free little CVC books are a quick and easy way for kids to practice _ad and _ug word families. With just one word per page, children can really focus on that beginning sound to sound out each new word.
Putting them together
- Download these books from the highlighted link at the bottom of this post
- Print off the books in either colour or black and white
- Fold them following the pictured instructions included in the download
- Get ready to read (and colour)!
Using these CVC books
- Look at the word family on the front cover and practice saying the sounds.
- As they turn each page, look at the picture then point at the beginning letter and sound it out.
- Say the initial letter then add the word family sound at the end.
- Can they say the word confidently? If their pronunciation isn’t quite right, say the word back to them and encourage them to repeat the word.
- If they just say the word by looking at the picture, encourage them to point to the word, stretch out the word they’re saying and point to each sound they can hear in the word as they say it.
- Kids can trace over the words on the last page, or if you want the books to be more long-lasting, just have them trace over the words with their finger.
A word about pronunciation and potential learning challenges
I recently interviewed Dr Tim Conway about dyslexia and early intervention, and he said the number one thing we can do to help young children is to have them look at our mouths as we’re pronouncing words.
The visual input kids receive from watching us pronounce ‘p’ and ‘d’ and ‘b,’ for example, can make a huge difference in them understanding how to produce the sounds themselves. This, in turn, gives them a much stronger foundation as to how sounds work, and therefore how reading and writing works.
Click the following highlighted link to download your LITTLE CVC BOOKS. The file will immediately be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Looking for more free little readers?
Click on this highlighted link to find our free LITTLE READER COLLECTION.
Looking for more free CVC activities?
- Magnetic letters: turning beginning sounds into CVC words
- CVC cookie match
- Little books with CVC and sight word sentences
- CVC to Magic E word and picture puzzles
- CVC self-checking clip cards
- CVC word puzzles
Looking for more little CVC books?
You can find 20 more CVC books IN MY STORE.