Want a quick reading and writing heart activity for Valentines? I created this jar of hearts using editable sight words, but you could use any words your kids are trying to learn… or even make up silly CVC words!
And for lots more free heart-themed activities scroll down to the bottom of this post – you’ll be glad you did!
Prepping for this editable sight words activity
- Download the free file at the bottom of this post
- Type the words you wish to use onto the hearts by clicking your cursor on that space. Then print onto white or coloured card. Cut them to separate. In order to edit you’ll need to open this document in Adobe Reader (it’s free)
- Print off the jar (or use a real jar)
- Print off the 5-heart page onto white or coloured paper. Fold on the dotted lines and then cut out the hearts – that should give you 15 hearts per page.
Using this Valentines activity
Use this activity for individuals, pairs or groups.
- Choose a word card
- Read that word and say it out loud
- Write the word on a heart
- Pop the word on the jar, or into a real jar
- Don’t print the word cards, just say the words out loud, ask children to write them then pop them in a jar.
- Print the word cards, but don’t write the words, just read the words out loud and pop them in a jar.
- Type family and friends’ names onto the cards to practice those.
- MATH: type familiar equations such as ‘3+1=’ onto the cards, then ask the children to write the answers onto their hearts before adding them to the jar.
Click the following highlighted link to download your JAR OF HEARTS EDITABLE SIGHT WORDS ACTIVITY. The file will immediately be sent to your downloads folder or other device equivalent.
Looking for more free sight word activities?
- I spy sight words colouring sheets
- Editable sight words (when you only have a minute)
- Community helpers: little readers with sight words – Set 1 / Set 2
- Battle for sight words
Want more fun heart activities?
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Heart Letter Puzzles // Pocket of Preschool
Valentine Hearts Ten Frame Clip Cards // Mrs. Jones Creation Station
Heart Digraph Puzzles // The Kindergarten Connection
Printable Valentine’s Math Activities // Stay at Home Educator
Alphabet Hearts // Playdough to Plato
Valentine’s Day Emergent Reader // Sweet Sounds of Kindergarten
Heart Syllable Sort // Recipe for Teaching
Candy Hearts Count and Clip Cards // Modern Preschool
Heartbreakers Sensory Activity // Sugar Spice and Glitter
CVC Hearts // The Primary Post
Valentine’s Day Number Recognition Bingo Game // Schooling a Monkey
Valentine’s Day Activities (Heart Craft & Cutting Practice) // Fairy Poppins
Heart Counting Cards // Powerful Mothering
Sorting Hearts Fine Motor Tray // Teach Me Mommy
Candy Heart Estimation Station // The STEM Laboratory
Contraction Conversation Hearts // The Simplified Classroom
Chocolate Heart Play Dough Mats // Fantastic Fun and Learning
Jar of Hearts: Editable Sight Words to Read and Write // Liz’s Early Learning Spot
Hearts Make Ten Game // Sara J Creations
Heart Roll, Cover and Write Mats // Fun Learning for Kids
Heart Ice and Oil Density Experiment // Science Kiddo
Candy Heart Sentences // Pages of Grace
Heart Sight Word Match // The Letters of Literacy
Heart Name Crafts // Fun-A-Day